Today was a day much like many I have had at W&M. Dragged myself out of bed at 8:00 (WAHOO SLEEP IN!), and rushed out the door to be at work by 9:00. Because this week has already been so crazy, I hadn't even begun to fulfill my required work hours for the week, so there was no choice but to go in before class today. I worked with really frustrating spreadsheets for 4 hours, and then headed downstairs for social studies methods. Class was neither bad nor good, but still with all the stress we felt we needed a break of some sort between classes. Sarah suggested the idea of "girl time!" of course said with her pithy British accent, and that we (meaning Sarah, Amy and I (the three female social studies grad students)) should go to chik-fil-a for a much needed milkshake. Amy and I both of course emphatically agreed with this suggestion, and although one of the undergrad girls basically invited herself (one of my biggest pet peeves...so rude!), we headed down the hallway toward the parking lot. While we were walking out, we offered and invitation to girl time to several of our male classmates, with no takers except one, Stephen.
We then packed into Sarah's two door hatchback, and began a discussion about Disney movies and boy bands. This is where Stephen's amazing and rather shocking Disney movie knowledge came out. He was a Poli Sci major at W&M and has a very steady girlfriend, but apparently it is not only girls and gay males that enjoy a good Disney movie every now and then...or a lot more often than that. Now I consider myself to be rather well versed in the Disney genre, but Stephen put me to shame...we're talking direct quotes and surprisingly accurate voice impressions. Needless to say I was shocked, and it was a topic that continued coming up throughout the afternoon and evening, and never once did Stephen act ashamed to be exposed for the Disney connoisseur that he is. It was all just shocking to me.
After arriving back to the SOE with our milkshakes and W&M-themed balloons from Billy at Chik-fil-a in hand, we proceeded to chat on the balcony for the next hour and half with various other classmates showing up throughout. During our next class, technology, Stephen tried to escape girl time, but was roped back in when we had to do an activity within our content area. This was where he again showed his Disney knowledge by pulling out some impressive Pocahontas trivia, b/c Sarah decided to do a silly lesson on the accuracy of the Disney movie. This was all just an interesting lesson for me in even positive stereotypes. I can have classes with someone for almost four months and think I have them pretty well figured out...and then something like this comes up completely unexpectedly and blows everything I once thought out of the water.
No comments:
Post a Comment